Sophomore Candidate Profiles
- Hometown - Hiawassee, Georgia
- Major/Intended Major - Political Science/Communications
- What organizations are you a member of? SGA Freshman Senator, Mercer Mock Trial Team, Mercer Admissions Team, Peer Adviser Team, and Bearforce Worker.
- What qualifies you to represent the student body on SGA? Your first year on SGA is a major learning year. Having served on SGA for one year it has allowed me to grow as a person and gain leadership skills. Having one year under my belt as my learning year will allow me to take a more hands-on approach to SGA and start more of my own initiatives. I have heard student concerns for one year and have very good ideas when it comes to how to approach student concerns. These are the leadership qualifications that are necessary to address student concerns in a timely manner.
- What is your platform/what do you hope to accomplish on SGA? This past year has allowed me to grow as a person and allowed my love of Mercer to grow. Even though I love Mercer I know it is not perfect, and I want to change that. I can't do it alone, but Together We Can. Together We Can find new ways to make registration less stressful. Together We Can work on getting better dining hours. Together We can take on the big issues, and fix them. My platform is not only food and registration, but I want my platform to be the people's platform. I want to be a voice for the rising sophomore class! I would love your support on election day. The election is Tuesday and Wednesday, April the 11th and 12th. If you have any ideas, comments, concerns, or questions, please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org or text or call me at 706-970-0752. Each of us can't do it alone, but Together We Can!
- Hometown - Johns Creek, GA
- Major/Intended Major - Accounting & Finance
- What organizations are you a member of? A.G.A.P.E (SSS Step Team), OBS (Organization of Black Students), club volleyball, Activism 101 group
- What qualifies you to represent the student body on SGA? I strongly believe that progress is best made with multiple people, not just one. I'm a great listener and team player, and I consistently put my best foot forward to get a job done. I'm willing to compromise, but not before making sure anyone and everyone is heard. I also love this school, and would want nothing more to make it better. Also, I was active in student government all throughout middle and high school.
- What is your platform/what do you hope to accomplish on SGA? My platform is two things that matter most to me, and that affect my life daily: diversity and unity. Mercer has a very diverse group of students; even within similar groups, there are still differences. I hope to accomplish setting up a diversity committee that will work to not only allow EVERYONE'S voice to be heard, but also to bring the voices together and improve relationships between students. The way we achieve that is through working together, allowing different perspectives to be learned, and working together to bring those perspectives into one that can solve situations for the greater good of the Mercer family as a whole. I don't want anyone to ever feel like they're left out.
- Hometown - Woodstock, Georgia
- Major/Intended Major - Finance
- What organizations are you a member of? Alpha Tau Omega Admissions Peer Adviser Club Baseball
- What qualifies you to represent the student body on SGA? I believe my purpose is to truly better the lives of those around me. I have a passion for serving others, and I believe that servant leadership is a characteristic that all SGA members should embody. I have held Various leadership positions in high school and here at mercer. One example is that I am a PA, so I will have direct contact with students outside of my representative class. I think the relationships I build with the class below me will be an important part of my ability as a student representative. Additionally, I'm a minority and for years SGA has received criticism about its inclusivity as a student organization. As a senator I would do my best to represent people that feel like they do not have a voice, as well as provide diversity to SGA.
- What is your platform/what do you hope to accomplish on SGA? My platform is very simple and it has three parts. Better Wifi More food options More student involvement in decision making